‘Tis the Season to Give BackDecember 4, 2014
By: Jenny Taylor, Communications and Public Relations Intern
As the air turns chilly and twinkling lights appear throughout our neighborhoods, we are all feeling the excitement of the holiday season. This joyous season is the perfect time to help your girls focus on their Girl Scout Promise to help people at all times. Girl Scouts – NC Coastal Pines has always taken great pride in the generosity of the girls in our council. Let’s make it another year to remember! What creative and fun ideas can your girls dream up for giving back and helping their communities?
Try using these suggestions to start your girls brainstorming about holiday service projects:
- Consider holding a coat and blanket drive. Work with a local charity to distribute what you collect.
- Food pantries and shelters are running low on supplies this year. Think of a creative way to collect non-perishable items.
- Many schools, local malls, and social service departments have “angel trees.” Have your troop collect the items on one child’s wish list. Have a gift wrapping party and make it fun!
- Provide a meal, small gifts, firewood, or gift cards for a family in need. The ideas are endless.
- Now is a great time to thank your meeting space hosts. There are so many ways to express thanks, including baking cookies, making cards, or helping with a project.
- This can be a difficult time of year for the elderly who are no longer able to live at home. You could sing carols or make decorations for the rooms at a nursing home or retirement facility.
- Think about ways to cheer up children who are ill and will not be able to spend the holidays at home.
- Don’t forget our furry friends during these cold months! Shelters are always in need of food, treats, and toys.
Here’s hoping this helps give your girls’ creative minds and generous hearts a jump start into this season of giving. We can’t wait to hear what your troop is doing!