5 Tips for Happiness at Camp HardeeMay 18, 2015
Kristi Doebler, Camp and Outdoor Program Director
Having spent many summers at a wide variety of camps, I am so excited to spend my summers on the Pamlico River as the camp director for Camp Hardee. I grew up as a Girl Scout, earning my Silver and Gold Awards, and truly believe in our mission to build girls of courage, confidence, and character.
While each of our camps here at Girl Scouts – NC Coastal Pines offers something special, we believe Camp Hardee is especially well suited for first time campers. Our small campus, along with air conditioned cabins and family like atmosphere, allows girls an opportunity to be away from home in an environment that offers a lot of support.
Once a girl has spent part of her summer with us on the Pamlico, she’ll have an idea if Camp Hardee is just right for her. She might even be ready to explore any of our larger camps. For our first time campers in particular, here are a few things to get you ready for a great week at Camp Hardee this summer!
- Register for camp – Girls can only join us this summer if they are registered! (Register here!) Once registration has been completed, we’ll send a confirmation email plus a link to our confirmation packet which includes all of the important paperwork and details for the week.
- Spend some time away from your home – Have your girl visit grandma for the weekend or have a slumber party with her best friends. Spending time away from her parents will help a girl feel comfortable going to camp without them.
- Come to our open house – Join us on March 8th from 1-4pm and explore Camp Hardee, meet staff, and see what the excitement is all about. Bring a picnic and enjoy the views of the Pamlico as you eat.
- Pack your things – The week before the scheduled session of camp is a great time to do your packing. The confirmation packet includes a helpful packing list. And don’t forget to have your camper bring a costume or outfit that fits in with the theme for the week. Help her pack stationary or postcards so she can let everyone at home know how much fun she’s having!
- Come to camp – You’ve signed up, visited camp, bags are packed, and now it’s finally here! We’re going to be busy all week having so much fun, so make sure you camper gets a good night’s rest before arrival. Our counselors will be her new role models, and she’ll make great friends with her cabin mates.
I can’t wait to meet each of our campers this summer at Camp Hardee. We’re going to have a blast and make she has a camp experience she’s wild about! See you this summer.
Girl Scouting is for every girl, and we are committed to making summer camp accessible to all girls who want it, regardless of their background or financial situation. This is why – for every Girl Scout – our girls pay less than half of the full cost we incur to deliver their week of camp adventures, and we provide financial aid for the families for whom $250 is still a stretch. This year, over 200 families applied to the Campership Fund for financial aid. You can help send these girls to camp by making a tax-deductible contribution to the Campership Fund. Click here to learn more or to make your gift today.