Let’s Think About Girl Programs!February 16, 2015
By Kim Henry, Program Director
As Spring is approaching, so are some exciting new programs! Happening this month is one of our beloved Girl Scout traditions, World Thinking Day (WTD). Here’s the lowdown on this annual event plus some additional tips for new leaders.
World Thinking Day 2015
What is World Thinking Day? Each year on February 22, girls around the world participate in activities to encourage girls to think about their sister Girl Scouts and Girl Guides in other countries. By participating in select activities girls can earn the World Thinking Day Award, which is an official award and can be worn on the front of her vest or sash. Some girls earn the award by attending WTD events while others may work on activities or service projects with their troop. This year’s theme for WTD is girls worldwide say “we can create peace through partnerships.” Read more about this year’s theme and the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts.
Jump Into Journeys
Want to explore a new Journey but don’t know where to start? Pile in your troop and join us at one of four locations for our Jump Into Journeys program for Daisies and Brownies.We will help you find your way!
This Spring, we will be jumping into the Brownie Quest and the Daisy 5 Flowers, 4 Stories , 3 Cheers for Animals! Journeys. These events get girls excited about the Journeys and give leaders an opportunity to see how to customize the Journey to fit their troop’s needs. Girls will earn the first Journey award and badge sets are included with the registration fee. If you can’t make it to a program and still are looking for assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Helpful Tips for New Leaders
- Attend leader meetings and talk with other leaders. Our volunteers are the most valuable resource for you. They have new ideas and know what works and what doesn’t. They even may have materials to share with you. You can also join our Girl Scout Leader Facebook Group!
- Use your Program Support Staff. We are here to make your life easier! Call us, email us, send up flares –we are happy to help!
- Use the Volunteer Tool Kit! It is great as is, or you can customize it to fit your troop plans!
- Attend local area and council-sponsored events. Not only are they exciting for the girls but they are also a great way to meet other leaders and gather ideas for future activities with your troop.
- Don’t sweat it! You got this!! Know that we appreciate you, and most of all, the girls appreciate you and all you do!
Still have questions? We are here to support you and will be happy to answer any questions about Journeys or other Girl Scout programs. Call 800-284-4475 and ask for the Program Team.