Commemorative Celebrations – MarchFebruary 27, 2017
By: Tara Rappleye, Program Director
Spring is coming and with that means warm weather and more fun commemorative celebrations. March is jammed packed with activities to participate in, from learning more about women’s history to attending a STEM event, no matter what you choose to celebrate, get together with your troop and let the fun begin!
Women’s History Month
As an organization focused on building females of courage, confidence, and character, it is important to remember the history of courageous women before us. Today, Girl Scouts experience rich, engaging opportunities because of the trailblazing women before them. Be sure to celebrate Women’s History Month, and all the amazing Girl Scouts who came before, by participating in one of the activities below:
- Juliette Gordon Low- are you aware of the impact Juliette Gordon Low made on women’s history? Go through this sheet of facts to see how well you know our founder.
- Watch a Movie- Hollywood has created numerous movies highlighting important moment’s in women’s history. Watch one of these movies below as a troop and discuss the impact the story had women’s history.
- A League of Their Own
- Hidden Figures
- Norma Rae
- The Rosa Parks Story
National Take a Walk in a Park Day
A foundational and traditional part of Girl Scouts is exploring the outdoors. Many Girl Scouts find their love of the outdoors through camping, canoeing, and hiking with their troops. A simple way you can explore the outdoors is by taking a walk. As a troop or family explore the outdoors, by participating in National Take a Walk in the Park Day on March 30.
- Take a Walk- celebrating this day is super easy, you just need to grab a pair of shoes (maybe a jacket if it’s chilly), a friend or family member, and head outside. Walk around your favorite local park or perhaps you can explore a new park. Did you know North Carolina is home to 29 beautiful State Parks? Take advantage and appreciate the natural beauty all around us!
National STEM Month
Through Girl Scouts’ STEM programming and initiatives, girls develop confidence in their skills and abilities. Our STEM programming creates the next generation of zoologists, scientists, and engineers. Girl Scouts can experience STEM in many ways through Girl Scouts, check out a few ways below:
- Badges- Girl Scouts have many STEM related badges to choose from to enhance their STEM skills and knowledge. Those interested in biology should check out the Animal badges. Girl Scouts who love learning how computers work will enjoy earning one of the Science and Technology badges. Add in a few STEM badge activities to your troop meeting this month and earn a badge!
- Spring STEM Programs- we’ve got a full line of STEM programs this spring. Interested in robotics? Check out the LEGO Robotics or Can-Do Robotics events. Want to explore a science museum? Then attend the Becoming a Naturalist Event at the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences. Looking for something else? We’ve got a wide-range of STEM activities waiting just for your girl!
National Nutrition Month
Having a balanced diet is part of living a healthy lifestyle. There are many small ways you can practice good nutrition as a troop. Try out one of these ways below:
- Make Every Step Count Patch Program- this past summer the Make Every Step Count patch program was updated to include new activities for Girl Scouts for all ages. In this patch program you learn, not just about physical wellness, but about nutrition too. The patch program can be geared towards girls based on grade level including programs for girls K-5 and 6-12.
- Troop Meeting Snacks- sometimes it is easier to bring a box of cookies to a troop meeting rather than cut up fruits and veggies. Be intentional with your troop meeting snacks this month and provide healthy, yummy options. A few easy options include: cut up fruit, yogurt parfaits, smoothies, popcorn, (etc.)
- Cook Legacy Badges- earn a badge while also learning about nutrition. While working on your Cook legacy badge, add a healthy twist. As Brownies, you can focus on snacks with good nutrition. Cadettes can try new healthy cuisines.
There’s so many awesome activities to choose from to commemorate our March celebrations! Stay tuned for our April lineup!