By: Eileen Miller and Tara Rappleye, Program Directors
Question: What helps solve problems, improves lives, and strengthens communities as well as helping people grow as individuals?
Answer: Involvement in community service!
Service projects are awesome opportunities for a girl or a troop to come together to help others through a one-time project or on a recurring basis. It is an action that can take place not far from home or within your community encompassing a wide array of focus areas all with the singular aim of making the world a better place.
If you are wondering where to start – you already have! If you have an interest in providing needed resources and support to others as well as improving your community, the next step is to narrow down what interests you as an individual and/or your troop.
Maybe it is:
- Volunteer to support a recycling program or start one of your own.
- Give of your time to help clean up a local park or beach.
- Local animal shelters need help on a daily basis. You can volunteer in your free time.
- Start a pet food collection.
- Share your love of music by playing for a group at a senior living center.
- Teach children a craft at a youth serving organization.
- Assist a food pantry by assembling cans and dry good donations.
- Start a canned food drive for those in need.
- Make bedtime bags to be given to children in foster care who needs some comfort.
- Teach others how to play your favorite sport.
- Donate soccer balls or equipment to a program that can’t exist without the help of the community.
During the Holidays
- Assemble donations at a local food pantry.
- Sing carols at a retirement home.
- Make holiday cards for servicemen and women.
Girl Scouts helping Girl Scouts
- Help a younger girl troop earn a badge or patch.
There’s a wide variety of volunteer opportunities available all around you! Contact schools, places of worship, and nonprofit organizations within your community and, of course, your local Girl Scouts. Reach out to them directly to learn what opportunities are available and which one is right for you and/or your troop.
Feel free to share with us too! If you’re involved in community service, what types of projects are you doing to make a difference in the lives of others? Submit your story via our council website and we’ll feature your troop on our social media channels!